-->

Monday, November 20, 2017

Pixar: Telling Stories


Public relations and communications to me is all about telling a story. Stories are intriguing, they pull at your heart, they have trials, they have errors, but they all usually result in a good ending or hope to the future. As I look ahead at what is in store for me and what my story is, I thought I would revisit one of my favorite companies that is so great at telling stories.

My favorite Pixar movie is Up. People have mixed tastes about this movie, but in my eyes that’s only because it has a really good story. In nine minutes, Pixar tells a story that is so genuine and real that it leaves viewers stunned and heartbroken. A walk through life in that short of time puts into perspective how short it really all is.

I also love Up for it’s sidekicks. Russell, Kevin and Doug are some of the most interesting characters because they add to the story of Carl and Ellie. I have decided that if I ever own a golden retriever, I will name him Doug.

All through my time at ONU, if I couldn’t come up with a topic to do research or speak on Pixar became my go to. I have learned so much about the company, their employees and the culture that they have built in storytelling as an art. One of ONU’s own, Bob Peterson works at Pixar. He is the voice of Doug in addition to a creative storyteller. Pixar's continuous yearning to grow and learn is what attracts me to their company the most.

One of my favorite books of all time is called Creativity, Inc. where the author outlines the growth of Pixar as a company and the culture growth through their employees. I have read and reread this book so many times, because someday I hope to be a part of a culture that is so inclusive and integrated in the workplace.

Telling people’s stories whether that is through a motion picture film or through the management of their organization is essential to us just living. We live so we can tell a story and document our successes and failures. I think that’s why I go back to Pixar so often. I will let you know how my story starts to unfold, but thank goodness it was here at Ohio Northern.

What inspires your story?

2 comments:

  1. Girl we should totally nerd out together. I LOVE all things Pixar and production company histories. I think it's so interesting to learn about what went into making some of my favorite childhood memories. I've never read Creativity Inc. but it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pixar has always been one of my favorite companies because of the creativity behind each film, and the fact that everything in their films was placed there with a purpose. P.S. I am definetly going to have to check out the book that you recommended! I can only imagine how amazing it is.

    ReplyDelete