-->

Sunday, February 19, 2017

FYI: How to Make Italian Beef Sandwiches

I love that my apartment on campus has a kitchen. For my class schedule and rehearsal schedule making my own food works out for me. I get to choose what I make and when I make it. It usually consists of a balance between really yummy, healthy foods and pizza. This week I needed to make something quick and easy to feed a lot of people. Italian beef sandwiches are the way to go!

Here's what you will need:

  • crock pot
  • 1.5 pounds of beef roast, the heaviest and leanest meat you can afford
  • 1 can of pepperoncini peppers or chili peppers
  • 1 package of Italian roll buns
  • optional: provolone cheese
This is the recipe that my dad gave me after a successful trial of it at home feeding a family of six. 
  1. Purchase your ingredients. It will all cost around $25 or more depending on how lean of a beef roast you decide you can afford. 
  2. Line the crock pot with a crockpot liner to save a mess.
  3. Place the roast into crock pot after dumping any drippings in. If your roast is really fatty, cut off the fatty pieces or chop into smaller portions of meat. Add a half-cup of water. 
  4. Cook on low for about four hours. 
  5. After about four hours has passed dump in your jar of pepperoncini peppers into the crock pot. Use all the liquid and peppers in the jar. Cook for another hour. 
  6. After an hour has passed, take two forks and shred the meat and cut it if necessary. It should just fall apart. Add the peppers from the crock pot back in with the meat on your dish. 
  7. Serve on buns or straight on a plate. (optional: add pieces of provolone cheese.)
My dad also advised after cooking you invite your parents over and save the leftovers. Both of these instructions I wasn't able to do! Everyone loved the dish so there were no leftovers. As for my parents... I will have to make this again sometime for them. 



1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it would taste amazing! I currently live in the sophomore dorms, so I do not have the luxury of having my own kitchen. I am hoping I have one next year, seeing that I love to cook and find myself missing not being able to cook for myself. I think I will have to try this recipe the next time I go home and cook a meal. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this and the tips to make it taste the best it can!

    ReplyDelete