-->

Sunday, March 5, 2017

FYI: Our New Pup

For those of you that were curious about the pups, we adopted Duchess!

Meet Duchess! She is four years old. She is kind of shy, but a very sweet, loving little Basset. She does best with another dog and people around. We will be looking in the future to get a pup or another girl so that Duchess can have a friend to play with.

In a previous post I mentioned that it was important for adoption agencies to have good social media. The Sunrise Center utilized social media to post about dogs and contact potential forever homes. That's how they got in contact with us!

Sunrise Center visited my home in Indiana a couple weeks before spring break. The visit was to make sure that the potential dogs would fit well with our family and our home.  The last thing our family wants is to put a dog in a place where they didn't belong or have them not fit with our family.

One night my family called me into our "family meeting." I was a part of a video call where I got to see the reactions of my younger siblings find out we were getting not one, but two dogs should this meeting go well. All night I received texts and pictures of how excited everyone was.

Friday, the pups made the trip from Illinois where my family waited to meet them and see if they would be a good fit.  Both Duchess and Baxter got to hang out with my family and the foster parent got to see if we would be a good fit. Both dogs worked well in our home and with the family members, but we decided to adopt Duchess.  Having Baxter would have been fun to, but we didn't want to train him not to breed with Duchess.

My family has waited a long time to take in another dog. It's a huge decision financially and a big family one. My siblings and I have annoyed our parents so long to finally have a dog again. So far Duchess has adjusted well to the family. She is loving the attention and her forever home with us.

Coming home over spring break and talking to my family, we all have come to the consensus that we really missed having a dog around. Hopefully she will be healthier, happy and continued to be loved by a family crazy about Basset hounds for years to come. Welcome home, Duchess.


2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing story. I love the idea of adopting a dog and adding a new member to the family. I think it is amazing how your family is dedicated to adopting a dog. Thank you for sharing your story! Enjoy your time with Duchess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great your family adopted a dog and Duchess found a forever home! I love seeing stories with a happy ending like this!

    ReplyDelete