-->

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Posters & PR

One forgotten way to promote events is the simple poster.

I work for the music department on campus and my job is to promote the events going on in Presser Hall. Within the last year I have taken up designing individual posters for events and concerts for students.

I recognized that for college students there was a service needed. Most people don't know how to design a poster and include the general information that would go in a lead.

On my posters I try to include one image, a big headline and answer the big questions. Make sure before you print your poster to answer the who, what, when, where, why and sometimes how questions.


If someone sees a poster that has an interesting design they immediately are going to look at the information and how the information is presented. If the information isn't all there, then they will be left with unanswered questions.

While you want to answer the questions, keep the text limited to only what is necessary. If there is a ton of text in one spot no one will read it.

Here are a couple examples of posters that I have designed in the past. Typically I design for musical recitals or organizational events, but I like learning different styles and ways to organize information.

I would highly recommend promoting the traditional way with a poster while using modern design techniques. Make sure you budget to pay whoever you have design your poster and have a budget to print the physical posters.

Get to designing.

1 comment:

  1. These all look great! I had no idea that you were the one designing all of the posters! It's also really cool that you take the pictures. They look so professional! Thanks for sharing your thought process behind designing a poster. I'm interested to know what formatting site/device you use to create these? Very cool.

    ReplyDelete