-->

Monday, February 6, 2017

Pinterest

Lately with all the negativity on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter I have been using Pinterest more frequently. Pinterest is a social media platform where members share images to each other and create "pinboards" to document or share ideas. Pins are individual images that document an idea, image, or action that can be saved to a board, where you categorize ideas and document similar content pieces. Boards can be kept secret or public and members can share pins to their friends using a variety of different channels.

Pinterest for an organization is really good to document what activities or products you have already made or to showcase a smaller version of what you have available on your website. This platform allows to categorize images and organize them on one profile to let users perceive the organizations' brand. Pinterest is one of least used platforms for brands I follow. Organization members need to know what publics they are trying to reach and what platform to use.

Pinterest creates a personalized feed for you that recognizes categories you search for and creates a specialized group of pins that you might like or be interested in. These happen daily. Creating a feed specific to the member keeps them coming back and interested in new content that is generated daily.

Members can individually post their content, but because Pinterest creates personalized feeds for you the images you see is what you get. That is awesome right now because if you personalize your interests for DIY, photography, fashion, etc. then your feed is not as negative as other social media platforms right now. For example, recently I have been pinning ideas onto a board that I call "A Dog's Life. "Below you will see suggested pins that Pinterest thought I might like.





















I like to use Pinterest because usually there is nothing about politics or bad news. It's positive and makes me think of new ideas I want to do or plan to do someday. My boards definitely reflect that, but it's almost similar as an idea journal to me. Below is a screenshot of titles of my boards.
If you don't use Pinterest for an organization, I would highly recommend that you consider looking into this social media platform. I don't view it as too girly.  Once you create boards of things you are interested in, Pinterest will customize your feed and help fill it with content you want to see. Give it a go! Here is a link to the Best of Pinterest 2015. You can check these out to find content.


3 comments:

  1. Most days I feel as though I live on Pinterest. I am such a visual and creative person, so using Pinterest is a place to look for ideas that I can take, change up, and make my own. I love Pinterest because it is so personalized and you do not get the drama and criticism that comes from Facebook and Twitter. I love to dogs life board idea. The main boards I use include DIY, quotes, graphics (for my major), and recipes. Pinterest for me is a place to go when I get artist block. Also, I like being able to get on and look up an organization and find exactly what I want. For example I searched Pontiac Oakland Museum (where I am interning this summer) and was able to find some inspiration for the t-shirts I have to design. I am 100% on board with using Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate to this! I am so sick of seeing all of the hate and fighting happening on things like Facebook and Twitter that Pinterest is a nice relief. I have had it for years now and never get tired of it. It's nice being able to look up ideas for literally everything whether it be my future wedding, my room, or even designs for projects in school. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad somebody shares my love for Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently started using Pinterest more also, but I still have no idea how to completely use it. I didn't know that you could customize my interests for my feed, so thank you for sharing that! I completely relate to using Pinterest as sort of a journal and for positivity; I've been going on it more to get ideas on what to draw or how to draw new things. It's a platform I'm for sure going to start using more and hopefully I start to learn how to use it!

    ReplyDelete